Monday, March 20, 2006

Churches and Hospitals

I would like you guys to read my friend's blog entitled All You Need To Know here before reading this one, it's sort of a opener. I'll wait here...
Wow, that was quick. You must have made all A's in reading! Just kidding. ANYhoo, here is some of my thoughts on The Pensacola Project.
The place is indeed crawling with churches on every corner, street, road, and edifice you can imagine, but hospitals/medical offices are seemingly on every corner as well. I spoke to a marketing person with Baptist Memorial and she said to me, "Pensacola has lots of hospitals and with that, a lot of medically related professions, its a large part of our economy". I of course agreed with her having rode around Pensacola and some of its surrounding communities. The two thoughts of churches and hospitals being everywhere sort of rolled around in my mind. What is this observation trying to tell me. Here is what I concluded (keep in mind that this a spiritual observation about something physical). The church is supposed to be a hospital too, right? The difference is physical and spiritual of course but the resemblance is there. That being the case, the people should be very "healthy" physically and spiritually, right? But they are just like any other town. They have all the same issues. The same problems as most other towns. They are a resort town and I'm sure rely heavily on tourism. But the tourists I know that go there don't come back with more "health" as they do with more sand on their feet. So what you ask? The point that I am trying to make is the same point that my friend makes in his blog, "Have you told us everything we need to know?" I don't think so. The answer is not more churches with their own specialties but rather churches with healing mentalities. We have cultivated an idea that more churches (in the traditional sense)=more genuine spirituality. However, the result is the same, more churches =the same or less spirituality. Why is there so many not seeing this?!? I am not specifically picking on Pensacola, but rather in a general sense (or nonsense). When will we wake up and realize that having a church more accessible to the already churched is crazy talk. We should be non-traditional in our approach to "doing church". Church in this post-modern world of which we are a part of (like it or not) is not beginning a change its already changed and setting up for newer changes. No matter if you offer a new wrapper on the same pack of underwear, it's still just underwear. Changing the wrapper isn't enough, the contents have to change in order to be effective. Endnote: I am not saying that we should change the message of the gospel to make it more appealing (which I personally appall). I AM saying however if we don't change how we PRESENT the message we are going to lose the battle of communication. Let's check our Christianese at the door and build a relationship with someone purely to have a relationship with them. If something becomes of that relationship and they join the Way, glory! If not, we have no less reason to be their friend. Jesus called us His friends. Sinners (of which I am the president of the local chapter) were Jesus' friends. How can I do or be better than that?
SIM CP

1 comment:

mike said...

Thanks for highlighting the need for "contexualization' of the gospel - a key missional principle!