Friday, June 02, 2006

Is It Too Soon?

I love movies. I mean I really love movies. Because of that, I am always looking for what is coming up in the movie world. One of my favorite sites to visit is Coming Soon . There I can find out what is on the horizon, read storylines, and best of all, watch trailers for upcoming movies. Several months ago, I saw a trailer for United 93 . The trailer depicts a fictional, but probable exchange between the passengers and terrorists. I found it very hard to watch. The movie has been out at theaters, but I really didn't want to watch it. I thought it would be too hard.
Recently, I was looking around at new trailers and came across the trailer for World Trade Center . The movie is directed by Oliver Stone and stars Nicholas Cage. This trailer was even harder to watch. I could visualize what was going through the minds of the people working in and around the North and South towers. The emergency personnel who were first on the scene and would soon be. I tried to think, what would I have done? I really don't know. I would like to think that I would do something heroic, but who knows?
The problem for me is this, isn't it too soon? Has there been enough time between the actual events and now that we will be able to watch it on the big screen. Is it just me, or we rushing into this? I know that it has been five years, but is that enough time. We are still at war in the Middle East over this "spark" that started it all. Have we the courage to revisit this black moment in human events?
When I watched Schindler's List several months ago, I found that gut wrenching. How could this have happened on this planet? A few months after that I watched Hotel Rwanda. A very good movie, but equally gut wrenching. How could human beings do this to other human beings? The Holocaust took place before my life time. The slaughter of a million Tutsis by Hutu militia took place in 1994, and the movie came out ten years later.
I guess for me, because this atrocity took place in my own country, five years doesn't seem long enough. It seems to me waiting another ten years would seem a better time, to me anyway.

No comments: