Friday, September 08, 2006

Our Endangered Values

I am listening to the audiobook of Jimmy Carter's "Our Endangered Values". When the book came out, I didn't think that I would like it. So far it is good. He seems very down to earth and easy to understand.
He made a comment that I thought was quite interesting. He was talking about religious fundamentalism and how he defined the attitude of those adhereing to it. The attitude of the fundamentalist is "I am right. Anyone the disagrees with me is inherently wrong" which leads to, "because you are wrong, you cannot be considered on the same level of existence as I am" which leads to "you must be sub-human" to finally, "your life really isn't worth anything". Now this may at first glance seem extreme, but isn't that what some of our history teaches us. Once I have an idea that I believe is without reproach, and I will no longer listen to what others have to say about there beliefs, the slide down to "death to the infidel" begins. Hasn't this been proved in our world and country histories? The question in my mind then,using association, is "Isn't this where right wing fundamentalist headed?" Has the invasion already begun? The blue states verses the red states. No longer is platforms or political ideas used to decide who is best suited for presidency of the US, but what theological beliefs one posseses or rather "exudes". Are we at the beginning of a new era in our country? When the seperation of church and state is nothing but a very blurred line? I think I'll put my lot in with the secular humanist, which Jimmy Carter was accused of being, even though he still considers himself an evangelical Christian. I know that in the truest sense of the word, he is, but the words seem to now carry a stigma. Just like the word Christianity. Everybody is a Christian now because it is socially excepted. That is why those that are really Christian have started using the term "Christ-follower". It sort of shocks the senses a little and causes some to ask quesitons, which I guess is the point. Sorry about the rabbit trail I was just on. Well to close I would like to say we all need to be shocked back into reality and take a step back and see what is happening all around us. When will the cycle be broken? I hope soon.

Sim CP

No comments: