Monday, September 18, 2006

Out of the Question, Into the Mystery

I am reading Len Sweet's book and he makes a pretty good assessment of the "post-modern" movement. He says, "The postmodern quest has been misunderstood as an abandonment of the quest for truth. It is far from an abandonment, but is rather a rerouting of the quest for truth along more relational and less rational paths. The question at the heart of Christianity is not a philosophical one or a political one or a liturgical one. The question at the heart of Christianity is a relational one: 'Who do you say that I am?' Who we say Jesus is says who we are." I believe that is the postmodern question's answer for me. It is all about relationship. My relationship with God and my relationship with my neighbor. You can't have one without the other. Jesus answered the postmodern question long before it was pre-modern. Who is Jesus to me? Beyond all the fluff, Jesus is still mysterious. He is hard to pin down and understand fully. All I can truthfully say is that He is more real today than in days past. I will confess to you, I used to rely on the encounters others had with Jesus to justify my faith. Until recently, my experiences with Jesus where "out of body", now they are more personal, more relational.
Maybe, and I am just spiff-balling here, in order for one's relationship with I Am to progress one must stop the insanity that is modern Christianity and say, "I am not going to 'go with the flow' any longer without understanding how this all relates to me. I will no longer accept hand-me-down answers to the questions that are central to my relationship with the Almighty. I am going to ask some questions and I am not going to stop until I find the answers."
I don't believe that I will find all the answers but I do believe that I will never stop asking and seeking.
Len quotes L. Robert Keck, "It is better to have a heart that makes love than a mind that makes sense." And that pretty much sums it up for me.

Sim Cp

1 comment:

Mike Perschon said...

New book from Sweet!...Sweet!

I wish I was reading THAT instead of being up to my eyeballs in marking midterms, and reading textbooks (although I can't complain too much...I do get to study Beowulf this semester).

Thanks for reading the book "for we who cannot currently read it". Your impressions are like going for coffee and hearing about what you're reading. Thanks man.