Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Star Wars Strikes....Again

I recently cancelled my Blockbuster online membership, so I have been low on movies to watch. I decided a few nights ago to watch the original Star Wars trilogy. I made it through the final episode this morning and in that episode was a great nugget of spiritual truth. You know, it seems to me that no matter how many times I watch certain shows, I find useful information along the way. Well...out with it!
Yoda has gone on to "join the force"(at least that is what I interpret he does when he vanishes before Luke) and Luke is struggling with going on to meet his destiny, which is to confront Lord Vader. Obi-Wan appears to Luke and they begin a conversation about Luke's recent discovery that Darth Vader is his father. Obi-Wan had told Luke that Vader betrayed and killed his father, and Luke is questioning this statement.
Obi-Wan:"...So what I told you was true, from a certain point of view."
Luke:"A certain point of view?"
Obi-Wan:"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view."

I have been down this road before, but somehow it seems more poignant this go 'round. Now I have literally watched Star Wars, both completely and in pieces, a hundred times, why didn't I see this truth...years ago? Why did it take so long to begin to understand the journey I was "destined" for? Who knows?
I guess the important thing is that I have now discovered a great truth. Next...use it.
The truths that I have clung to most of my life, adolescence to adulthood, have been from a "certain point of view". I have believed things, spiritually speaking, without question due to my rearing. I suppose that this is a good thing, no, scratch that, it is a good thing. My parents passed on to me what they believed to be the truth and for that I am grateful. Now, however, I am beginning a journey in a new direction and my point of view is...different. Knowing that my point of view is different doesn't take away the pain of uncertainty as new ideas and ideals are being "tried on". The struggle is there. The questions remain and even the point of view moves about. One day, one thing. Next day, different thing. Its really hard to find what it is that is unchanging. It has been suggested that which is unchanging is inside all of us. This may be true, but what does that mean?
Ahhh, the wonderful world of "Certain Point of View"! Is it something that can be shared with others? I guess so or else there wouldn't be a single congregation of folks anywhere. But do they really share a certain point of view? Or is it simply a lack of the majority to search out there own point of view? One certain point of view is offered by a few dominant people and others join in. Does this make it a true group of congregates? I don't know.
Well, here's to Lucas' legendary Star Wars dialogue, who would have known it to stir up so many questions?

1 comment:

Lyndon said...

You would know that HBO would run a Star Wars marathon for the 4th of July. I've had my fill of the latest trio for a while and saw Return of the Jedi not long ago, so I watched The Empire Strikes Back again last night. I may even watch Star Wars later tonight. I love DVR.

"You must unlearn what you have learned." ~ Yoda