Monday, May 15, 2006

Even More on Dan's Diabolical Treatise...

At Barna.org there is an interesting article from the Barna research group about "The Da Vinci Code". The whole article is good and focuses on the fact that overall this book has not effected most, 95%, of people who have read the book "cover to cover".
As a side note, The Town Talk (local newspaper), in the opinion section today, a group of people will be having a PPP, peaceful, prayerful protest outside of the Grand Theatre May 19th. There reason is because they want to "honor our Lord and savior, Jesus Christ and to console him and make reparation for insults to his sacredness". WHAT!?! Console Jesus? Insults to His sacredness!?! What does this book/movie do to people who are probably somewhat normal otherwise? Do we have to defend the Lord? Is He not God? Does He need mortal humans to defend His honor? I think not! He is God! Regardless of what a book or movie says. Jesus Christ is the unique Son of God and He certainly doesn't need me or anyone else to "make reparation for insults to his sacredness". Come on, give me a break!

SIM CP

2 comments:

Mike Perschon said...

Good thoughts Jared. I remember reading something about the opening of either Milton's Paradise Lost or Dante's Inferno that it was written to defend God or some such thing, and I recall thinking...does He need that? The big controversy when I was graduating high school was the film version of the Last Temptation of Christ. Despite all the controversy, I decided to see it, and it was a really great experience - it both challenged and inspired me. The flip side is that no one seems to really worry about that film anymore...a controversy blows by every few years. And God stays God.

Jared Funderburk, SIM CP said...

I have always wanted to see The Last Temptation of Christ, but never have. Now that you said it "challenged and inspired" you, I will definitely rent it. Thanks.