Sunday, May 14, 2006

More on "The Code"

"Christianity, Christian ideas and ideals have for good reason withstood so many challenges that a 'Da Vinci Code' whodunit in no way presents a threat," director Ron Howard recently reassured the German press.

I was reading the Drudge Report and came across an article which tells how "The Da Vinci Code" is being reacted to by different religious groups presented by the media on a global level. Ron Howards quote sums it up for me. What is Christianity if it cannot withstand a "whodunit" fiction book? Christianity, or the following of Christ, has nothing to fear. What are we if a book of fiction is shaking the foundation of our belief system? I believe what the bible says about Jesus. He was/is God's Son, wholly man, wholly divine. He was without sin. The bible doesn't say specifically that Jesus never married, but I understand that to be true, on faith. It has never been an issue for me. When I was reading the book, the only thing that kept me turning the pages, was finding out the different codes and their solutions. The book's facts about Jesus and Mary were not even on the radar for me. It was a page turner because it took enough fact and blended in a lot of fiction, and the result was great. Once I got to the halfway point, I didn't put it back down. I stayed up till 2:30am to finish it. I wasn't let down. After that, I got all of Dan Brown's books and they are very similar in style, meaning they use a small amount of fact and mix in great amounts of fiction and...Viola! a great book. Not all of them are excellent, but all are good.
My hope is that when all of this hoopla is settled, we can get back to enjoying a good tale of "whodunit".

SIM Church Planter

No comments: