Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Where Are We Headed?

I have been reading Bible Verses and I have been enjoying the perspective of someone that is not, what I would call, a traditionally spiritual person, read through the New Testament and comment on his observations. Because of my upbringing in a conservative religion, my mind was closed to all those that believed differently than myself. Since my Great Awakening (that is my new label for whatever the hell happened to me), I have opened my mind to all kinds of thoughts and ideas and gave them their rightful attention. I gotta tell ya, that is very freeing. It is as though my brain began to be used and not just put in neutral.
At one point in my life, I would have labeled Hugh a heretic and been overly critical of everything he had to say. What a shame! Those most different from us have the most to teach us. Aren't we better able to make decisions when we have all the facts.
Until more people are willing to open up and at the very least listen to some new ideas and thoughts and beliefs, we will never get past where we are as a global people.
Let me change gears just a little.
Everyone would like world peace(Well except those who profit off of war). The only way that I can see that ever happening, is if those that are currently closed-minded to become open-minded. I believe the solution is really that simple. I believe that is what happened to me in my G.A. I am way more accepting of others, regardless of their beliefs or actions, than I ever was before. I would never except the condemning or killing of people because they are different than I am. WHO AM I? Who am I to condemn others? Have I walked in their shoes and seen what they have seen? WTF was I thinking?
Closed-mindedness. What leads us down this dark path? Where do we hope to end up? Everyone believing what we believe? What kind of nonsense is that? But alas, there are too many who believe that their way is the only way and too many who believe that that other group is wrong. What are we all 4 year olds?
Thank you Lord for not letting me live my whole life as a closed-minded asshole!

No comments: