Thursday, May 17, 2007

Starting Reading Again...

It's been awhile since I have read anything outside of entertaining fiction. But because I was missing some good spiritual scholorship. Here is what I am reading:
The Secret Message of Jesus by Brian McLaren. This is a book that at one time I was going to read, but put it off. A friend of mine, who mysteriously countinues to make an appearance sporatically in my life, suggested that I get the book and maybe we could start a conversation with other guys in the area in the same boat as I am in, using this book. I got it from my library and started reading it. I have made it half way through the book, and it is good, but almost predictable. I can certainly appreciate the journey and will finish the book, I just hope that the second half is more enlightening. I guess this would be a starting point to enter a conversation with others similar to myself. We'll see.
The Spiral Staircase, My Climb Out of Darkness by Karen Armstrong. Karen is an ex-nun and this is a partial memoir about her journey from being a nun to...being not a nun but still felling called to minister to the marginalized. The book is fasinating so far, I really feel a kinship with this person I have never met. It's very much like having coffee with someone that really understands what in the crap you are talking about. I love that. I will let you know how this all ends...

No comments: