Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Blue Like Jazz

Just got finished reading "Blue Like Jazz" by Donald Miller. Very good book. There is something in the writing that really resonates with me. The writer being from Houston, and me so close by in Louisiana, helps that connection I suppose. I told my wife last night that I didn't want to sound egotistical, but that I felt that I could have wrote this book. Not because I am talented, I am not a writer, more like a quick sketch artist maybe, but not a writer. I guess what I meant was, if I were a talented writer like Don Miller, that I think I could have wrote this book. Mainly because it was like listening to my story, my spiritual journey in words. He is not like me in lots of ways, he isn't married (or so he isn't at the publication of this book), doesn't live near hear anymore, Portland, goes to a pretty emergent sounding church, but we have shared some of the same things. He started life in institutional church and learned all the Sunday School stories. Led youth for a time. But something happened. I light came on at some point, and the questions haven't stopped. I really understand exactly what that is like. It's really hard to explain in words, but if you have experienced it, there is no doubt you understand what that means. John Ortberg's endorsement says, "Its hard to find people who write about God from a position of commitment but still sound as if they are being human and honest...". I guess that's why I liked it so much. It's raw, funny, real. I definitely recommend this book to anyone.

SIM CP

No comments: