Monday, July 10, 2006

Right? Left? Middle?

I am reading Dallas Willard's The Divine Conspiracy. It is a lengthy book and even though I consider myself an accomplished reader, have not been able to get through 60 pages in a week. It is slam full of information, so much so, that I find myself re-reading several things just to try and get some of it. One thing that I did read today was worth noting here in the ol' blog.
He has been discussing Christian right and left theologies. Right wingers focus heavily on life after death and lefties on social action. Willard points out rightly that both come up short. The closest he finds to the Gospel is kingdom life now.
He sites that the "system is perfectly designed to yield the result [we] are getting". He even goes as far as to say that it would be foolishness to expect anything different than what we have got based on the basic message of the church as it is heard today.
Again he says, "We who profess Christianity will believe what is constantly presented to us a gospel. If gospels of sin management (I really like that phrase as a definition of the Christian message of today) are preached, they are what Christians will believe. And those in the wider world who reject those gospels will believe that what they have rejected is the gospel of Jesus Christ himself--when, in fact, they haven't yet heard it."
He says that the result is human souls left to shrivel and die because they have not been given the message central to the New Testament, the kingdom of eternal life, now.
What is the answer? A return to learning, teaching, preaching, the Kingdom of God by the church to its followers. As I remember it, Jesus said that if we would seek the Kingdom of God first, all other things, life after death and social action included, will be added at there appropriate places.
"...return to your first love" said Jesus to the church at Ephesus.

Sim CP

1 comment:

Mike Perschon said...

Man, I LOVED the Divine Conspiracy, first time I read it. I totally understand how carefully one plods through it though - it is rather dense in terms of information. One of my top 10 non-fiction books of all time. Need to give it another read, for sure.